Sunday, January 23, 2011

Skinny Jeans

Conversation between Andrew and I this past Thursday before venturing out:

Me: "Which shoes look better with these jeans?" I am adorning an Ug boot (or rather, a much cheaper, non-leather version of an Ug boot that ensures the safety of our furry friends) on one foot  and on my other foot is a cute Birkenstock-type shoe (also non-leather).

Andrew looks at both feet for a second, closely observing each foot and taking in the entire outfit so as to make the right decision. (Yeah right. It took him all of 2 seconds but we were in a hurry and this was why I was asking his opinion anyway).

Andrew: "To be honest, I like the regular shoes with those jeans better than the boots."

Awesome. I love my new boots and yet have not a thing to wear with them. I secretly want to choose said boots instead of my boring "regular" shoes, but then I'll make him wonder why I asked his opinion in the first place. But I want to look cute because we never go out on a week night and I want to step it up a notch. But now I'm self conscious about the boots.

Me: Looking at the boots, "Perhaps some other time ladies."

So we went out and I didn't think anymore of it.

Then Saturday rolled along. We were going to go check out a new shopping center in town and I was getting ready. Same jeans, different shirt, so I tried both styles again in front of Andrew so as he could make the decision again. However, before giving him the chance to say anything, I run off to the bathroom to check my reflection and compare each style with my outfit. Standing on the toilet, so as to get the full effect, I sadly come to the conclusion that the shoes still look better than the boots. I come back to the couch where Andrew is still sitting, hopping on one foot as I pull the Ug off of my foot.

Me: "I think I just need to invest in a pair of skinny jeans."

Andrew: Looking a little annoyed because I always have some snide comment to add about my weight.  "Boosk. You're a size 1! Those are skinny jeans!!!!"

Did I mention how much I love this man? I almost didn't have the heart to explain to him the difference between the styles. But I'm stubborn.

"No. I mean skinny jeans are the ones that are really tight and tapered at the bottom so that you can tuck them into boots easier and they don't look all puffy."

He looked a little confused for a second but then came back to life with the comment: "I like boot-cut the best." Who knew that he did actually know the difference? Guess that's what I get for not giving him credit. But now that I think about it, I guess he was right on both counts.

Technically, a size 1 should be considered "skinny jeans". Perhaps, they should think of something else to call the other ones since they indeed, come in all sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment